Ear infection can lead to multiple complications such as hearing loss that can be corrected with the use of digital hearing aids. A hearing problem can result in delayed speech and language development. Individuals exhibiting symptoms that correlate to ear infections must consult the best ENT specialist in Karachi. The specialist will diagnose and recommend the medication/surgery most effective in treating the ear infection.
What is Ear Infection?
Ear infections are not very common in adults. Infections occur due to viruses and bacteria in the middle ear. Ear infections usually correlate to other underlying medical conditions; hence, it is essential to monitor the symptoms and consult a specialist.
What are the different types of ear infections?
The different types of ear infections are:
- Otitis Externa: Otitis externa is commonly known as an outer ear infection. The infection occurs at the outer canal due to exposure to contaminated water, which allows the bacteria to grow.
- Otitis Media: Otitis Media is generally knowns as a middle ear infection. The infection attacks the air-filled space behind the eardrum. The middle ear is filled with fluid and bacteria that lead to an ear infection.
What are the symptoms of ear infections in adults?
The symptoms of otitis externa are:
- Unbearable pain in the ear
- Irritation in the ear canal
- Swelling and redness around the ear
- Fever and chills
- The person is unable to hear voices
- Immoderate whitish and yellowish discharge from the ear
The symptoms of otitis media are:
- Intolerable pain in the ear
- Sense of pressure in the ear
- Unable to maintain balance
- Excessive fluid discharge from the ear
- Fever and temporary hearing loss
What tests help in diagnosing ear infections?
- Use of Otoscope: The doctor will use an otoscope that will help to evaluate the condition of the outer ear and eardrum.
- Tympanometry: The test helps to assess the hearing of the ear. It also helps to determine if the person is suffering from any infection.
What treatments are proven effective for an ear infection?
The treatments for ear infections include medications and surgical procedures.
- Medication: Infections are treated with medications and are proven effective.
- Ear drops such as aurodex are given to the patient to help reduce the pain.
- Pain relievers such as ibuprofen, naproxen, and acetaminophen are prescribed to patients with unbearable pain and discomfort.
- Surgery: Tympanostomy is a surgical procedure; performed when the medication is proven ineffective. The person is under anesthesia during the surgery. A tiny tube is inserted to make a hole for the fluid to drain.
What is the preventive measure to reduce the chances of an ear infection?
The preventive measures to reduce the chances of getting ear infections are:
- Avoid swimming in contaminated water
- Clean and dry your ears regularly
- Avoid using lotions, makeup, and other products near the ear
- Avoid scratching your ears with nails and metal objects
- Extirpate making from your lifestyle
- Wash your hands after and before touching your ears
- Never insert foreign objects into ears
Individuals who manifest any symptoms related to ear infections should be vigilant as it may lead to complications. To avoid damage and complications one should consult the best ENT specialist in Lahore for guidance.