The key is negotiation when you look to get something in life, be it a job, a new house, or just a better deal on your car. It can seem daunting and like it will take forever to learn all there is to know about being successful in negotiations, but thankfully, that’s not the case! There are some fundamental things you can do and know to help increase your chances for success.
Thomas Jakobek is a professional contract negotiator and a great leader. He has successfully managed his businesses. Thus, feel free to learn from him.
Here are five tips that should get you started on the right foot when embarking on your next negotiation journey!
Know What you Want Before Anything Else
This doesn’t mean coming into negotiations with an inflexible stance but having a realistic idea of what outcome you’re aiming for. This will help keep you focused during the process and prevent you from making any rash decisions.
Thomas Jakobek is now a successful negotiator because he constantly worked hard and has over 25 years of experience managing financial projects.
Research, Research, Research
The more you know about what you’re negotiating for and the other party involved, the better equipped you’ll be to get what you want. Make sure to do your homework before entering into any discussions.
Be Assertive, Not Aggressive
It’s essential to be confident and in control without being overbearing. Remember that there’s a fine line between the two, and try to err on caution regarding your tone and body language.
Don’t Be Afraid to Walk Away
Sometimes the best thing you can do is walk away from a bad deal. If you feel like you’re not getting what you want or deserve, it’s perfectly okay to end the negotiations and look for better opportunities.
Practice makes Perfect
The more you practice negotiating, the better you’ll become at it. Before heading into a real-life situation, there’s no shame in role-playing with friends or family members. The more prepared you are, the better your chances of success.
Alternative Solutions for Best Negotiations
- Preparation is key – know what you’re worth and what you want before the negotiation begins.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for what you want – remember, it’s a negotiation!
- Stay calm and collected during the negotiation process; getting angry or emotional will only hurt your chances of reaching an agreement.
- Be aware of the other person’s needs and wants, and see if there’s any way to compromise.
- Always have a backup plan in case negotiations break down – you don’t want to walk away empty-handed.
- If all else fails, be willing to settle for less than you wanted, but always try to get as much as you can without sacrificing your principles.
- Practice makes perfect – the more you negotiate, the better you’ll become at it!
- Finally, don’t be afraid to walk away from a bad deal – sometimes it’s better to end the negotiation and look for a better opportunity than to settle for something you’re not happy with.
By following these simple tips, you’ll be well to become a master negotiator!