It’s all too easy for your work to get overlooked in the busy hurly-burly of office life. You’re slaving away, and it can be hard to remember Mayschleifervox that you need to put in some effort to boost your individual status and personal kudos for your work. But it’s important. You have to make your mark so you stand out and your promotional potential will be realized.
The best way to do this is to step outside the normal working routine. If you have to process so many widgets each day— and so does everyone else—then processing more won’t do you that much good. But if you submit a report to your boss of how everyone could process more widgets, then you’ll get noticed. The unsolicited report is a brilliant way to stand out from the crowd.
.It shows you’re thinking on your feet and using your initiative. But it mustn’t be used too often. If you subject your boss to a barrage of unsolicited reports, you’ll get noticed but in completely the wrong way. You have to stick to certain Rules:
- Only submit a report occasionally.
- Make really sure that your report will actually work—that it will do good or provide benefits.
- Make sure your name is prominently displayed.
- Make sure the report will be seen not only by your boss, but by his boss as well.
- It doesn’t have to be a report—it can be an article in the company newsletter.